Considering a solar installation on an old barn? Here are some historic preservation tips:
· Locate the solar array with minimal to no visibility from the front/street side of barn when possible; is barn roof the best place?
· Match color of solar panels to the roof as close as possible.
· Install the panels on the same plane as the roof with no alterations to the roof configuration.
· All solar panel installation work should be reversible.
· All solar installations should be performed with the least intrusion or impact, both visual and physical, to the historic character of the barn.
· Check applicable zoning and planning ordinances and building codes regarding solar installations. If you are in an historic district, check these regulations too.
· If you are considering applying for the barn tax incentive program (RSA 79-D), check with your municipality for guidance on roof-mounted solar panels. And contact us at email@example.com for a Q&A about this issue.