Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995 as North Weare Schoolhouse, the historic 1 ½ story brick Riverside Academy Building was built c. 1855 and stands on a .4 acre parcel surrounded by mature hardwood trees marked by granite posts and rail fencing. It is a vernacular mixing of Federal, Greek Revival, and Italianate styles, sits on cut granite underpinnings and is crowned by a large louvered belfry with weathervane. It is the most architecturally distinctive of Weare's 19th-century schoolhouses. It was used as a public school until 1952, and then served as a grange hall until the 1980s. The School House sits in a village of historic houses, barns and a church. Nearby there are several tracts of conservation land, including the Weare Town Forest. The School House is located on Old Concord Stage Road (Route 77) just east of junction with Route 114 in North Weare, just 20 minutes west of NH's capital city of Concord.
The main room measures 30'x40' with an attached 16'x49' ell of wood construction dating from the 1960s. Inside, the building retains much of its original detailing. A curving wooden staircase with rounded handrail leads to the upper level. The main school room features a narrow vertical board tongue-and-groove siding underneath a chalk railing which circumscribes the room. The pressed tin ceiling, added in the late 19th or early 20th century, displays a decorative cornice and a field comprised of square and rectangular panels decorated by urns and geometric patterns with anthemion at the corners.
The building is considered to be 75% restored with two new furnaces, alarm system, plumbing, wiring and electric. It offers many possibilities.
Owner asking $225,000. Call 603-497-3683.