Preservation Preserves, Window Weatherization Kit, and other Holiday Gift Ideas from the New Hampshire Preservation Alliance
If you’re looking for a holiday gift for a do-it-yourself-er, an owner of an old house or barn, or simply someone who loves New Hampshire’s historic buildings, the New Hampshire Preservation Alliance can be a hassle-free shopping option. Descriptions below and here.
A jar or two of our own label Preservation Alliance Preserves will sweeten your favorite preservationist’s toast or sandwich. The popular fruit jams are produced in partnership with a local New Hampshire farm. ($5 for 8 oz jar of strawberry or raspberry + shipping; $3 for 2.5 oz blueberry, strawberry or raspberry + shipping)
The Window Weatherization Kit includes the necessary products to help tighten up your drafty wood windows while preserving their historic charm. The kit includes best practice tips, resource materials, and a one-year membership to the NH Preservation Alliance offering discounts to our programs and workshops. A perfect gift to help keep your old house friends warm this winter! ($50 + shipping)
A gift membership to the Preservation Alliance helps support New Hampshire’s statewide preservation organization but it also includes a quarterly newsletter, invitations and discounts to do-it-yourself workshops, and behind-the-scene tours.
Anyone who owns an old house or barn will be interested in these titles from the preservation bookshelf:
· Painting Historic Exteriors: A Resource Guide – The Cambridge (Mass.) Historical Commission’s guide to architectural styles and appropriate historic paint colors, methods of application, use of multiple colors, accent colors, and lead abatement. Bibliography and black and white illustrations. Paperback ($15)
· Save Your Wood Windows by John Leeke – This illustrated how-to guide teaches the most practical and economic methods of window maintenance and repair. With specific step-by-step instructions for project planning, repairing sashes, replacing sills, and much more. Also provides a list of resources and suppliers. Paper. ($15)
For budding preservationists, these children’s books make ideal gifts:
· The Little House – Virginia Lee Burton’s classic, prize-winning story of a country house gradually engulfed by the city. Paperback ($7)
· Barn – A Yankee barn watches 200 years of history unfold while the barn remains timeless. Paperback ($6)
For lovers of the Granite State’s historic structures, the Preservation Alliance offers:
· A Building History of Northern New England by James Garvin – A “must have” book by New Hampshire’s long-time state architectural historian that explains original construction methods and materials for historic structures. Profusely illustrated. Paperback ($26)
· New Hampshire Architecture: An Illustrated Guide by Bryant F. Tolles – A popular guide to the Granite State’s rich architectural heritage with examples from most communities. Paperback ($25)
· Big House, Little House, Back House, Barn by Thomas Hubka – The classic study of New England’s connected farm buildings. Beautifully illustrated. Paperback ($28)
As a holiday special, orders that combine a membership with a preservation preserves or book order will receive free shipping for the order and a $5 discount on membership. Call the Preservation Alliance at 603-224-2281 or email email@example.com